More upgrades to the Pacific Motorway (M1) between Varsity Lakes and Tugun (VL2T).
Seymour Whyte has been awarded Package A of the VL2T upgrade between between Varsity Lakes (Exit 85) and Burleigh (Exit 87).
Package A is a 2km section of motorway widening works to a minimum of 3 lanes in both directions as well as replacing the existing concrete road surface with stone mastic asphalt. The scope of works also includes:
- the construction of the Gold Coast's first Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) at Burleigh (Exit 87)
- extending and relocating the Exit 85 northbound off-ramp by 250m
- adding a fourth northbound lane between Reedy Creek (Exit 85) and Burleigh (Exit 87)
- installing a new shared bike and pedestrian path on the western side of the motorway
- installing smart motorway technologies.
A new Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) at Burleigh
The DDI at Exit 87 will be the first of its kind on the Gold Coast; and will boast a number of benefits, including:
- synchronised signals to manage traffic movements from one side of the interchange to the other
- a reduction in the number of traffic signals that would normally be required at such a busy interchange
- a much safer and more efficient interchange arrangement compared to the existing roundabout
- improved active transport connections to and from Bermuda Street (Southport-Burleigh Road)
- a compact design that uses a smaller footprint than traditional interchange designs.
As a large number of northbound vehicles turn right from the motorway to Bermuda Street, the DDI will provide a major advantage for this movement - as right-turning traffic will not have to cross opposing traffic when making the right-hand turn.
The exit ramps will operate in the same signal phase so road traffic management operators can ensure that queues don't extend back onto the M1.
The western side of the DDI will be built to enable a possible future connection direct to Old Coach Road, Burleigh Heads.
May 2020 - Late 2022
Kilometres of Road
Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads