History & values
A PROUD HISTORY
In 1987, John Seymour and Garry Whyte started a small civil construction company in Queensland. Almost three decades on, the company they founded has grown exponentially—on a foundation imbued with John and Garry’s good business sense and regard for strong relationships.
The acquisition of Rob Carr Pty Ltd in 2014 was a natural fit, not just in capability but in shared values. Founder Rob Carr arrived in Australia from Ireland in the 1980s and set up his civil construction company with little more than determination and an entrepreneurial spirit, which continues to be reflected in the company’s can-do attitude today.
Seymour Whyte Constructions founded by John Seymour and Garry Whyte
Seymour Whyte Constructions awarded first contracts, including a small road upgrade in Stanthorpe
Rob Carr Pty Ltd founded in Victoria by Rob Carr with one excavator and a small workforce.
Seymour Whyte Constructions won a series of public sector projects, forming the foundations for growth
Rob Carr Pty Ltd entered the Western Australia, relocating there to work on an infill sewerage project in Kalgoorlie as a pre-qualified contractor for utilities services
Seymour Whyte Constructions broke into the Gold Coast market and took on the first $10 million + road contract for the Capalaba Bypass
Seymour Whyte Constructions awarded first mining contract ($8 million Phosphate Hill project) along with multiple major railway station upgrade contracts across Brisbane
Seymour Whyte Constructions expanded into Northern Queensland and multi-sectors with resources, rail, and airport projects and opening of the Cairns office
Seymour Whyte Constructions launched a building business unit to integrate building infrastructure services with existing civil capabilities
Rob Carr Pty Ltd seized a market opportunity for a trenchless contractor and diversified operations by bidding and undertaking the first project using trenchless technology
Rob Carr Pty Ltd purchased first slurry micro-tunnelling machine, consolidating commitment to become Australias premium trenchless contractor
Seymour Whyte Constructions awarded first major resources contract - the Cowal Gold Mine - a $53.4 million joint venture
Seymour Whyte Constructions and Split Rock Inca Alliance located within an aboriginal community enabled award- winning indigenous employment and training opportunities
Rob Carr Pty Ltd 's first involvement with major Alliance works in South East Queensland on the $227 million Beenleigh Merrimac Pimpama Alliance as preferred subcontractor
Seymour Whyte Constructions delivered the iconic Go Between Bridge in Brisbane as part of the Hale Street Link Alliance
Seymour Whyte Constructions:
- participated in Origin Alliance to deliver an Ipswich Motorway upgrade—Australia's largest alliance at the time, and the largest contract ever won at $2 billion in partnership with Abigroup (now Lendlease), Fulton Hogan, Parsons Brinkerhoff, SMEC and Queensland Government
- delivered the $250 million Port of Brisbane Motorway duplication as part of a joint venture
- ranked 17th in Business Review Weekly's Top 50 Best Places to Work in Australia - the highest ever by a construction company
Seymour Whyte Constructions designed and constructed $106 million Townsville Port Inner Harbour Expansion, setting new standards in marine piling works and innovation
Seymour Whyte Limited administered as an official listing on the ASX
Seymour Whyte Limited acquired Rob Carr Pty Ltd, expanding service offering for utilities sector
First joint venture between Seymour Whyte Constructions and Rob Carr Pty Ltd to participate in DG Alliance's delivery of the Green Square Stormwater Drain project
- Seymour Whyte Group's 2020 Strategic Plan launched
- Retirement of John Seymour from the Board of Directors; Rob Carr steps down from company operations but remains on the Board of Directors
- Seymour Whyte Constructions wins first VicRoads contracts
THE VALUES WE LIVE BY
The legacy of our founders has fostered a strong team culture, which is ultimately the secret of the Seymour Whyte Group’s success.
Our people have a wide range of skills and smarts borne from diverse backgrounds and experiences, and we all come together through our shared values. These values also help attract and retain the best staff for our organisation, those who share common goals and values, in turn supporting our business objectives.
- Safe delivery: We relentlessly pursue the elimination of incidents and injuries
- Nimble and agile: We make decisions, adapt quickly to change and eliminate bureaucracy
- Disciplined: We are always focussed, consistently deliver, and do what we say
- Reputable: We act with integrity, always upholding our reputation
- Creative: We are problem solvers and think outside the square
- Collaborative: We work together to achieve results; we value input from others